The Lyme Spot is about having Lyme: living with it, putting up with it, embracing it, damning it, figuring it out, not figuring it out, but most of all...it's about community. I will be sharing my experience, my feelings, and all the things I know that help me get through my days and keep me feeling positive, or at the very least keep me alive! But please, also come here to share your experiences, feelings and all the things you know. Together, we can get through anything...

The Healing Compassion of Father Michael Bassano

"The spirit of compassion goes beyond language, culture, tradition...and makes us one with all living beings." -- Father Michael Bassano


We with Lyme disease know what it is to be sick. We know what it is to fall ill and not get better. We know what it is to be abandoned. I look at the patients in this video and I know some of what they go through. It's true, I don't know what it's like to be almost dead from AIDS. I don't know what that is like because the physical effects of AIDS are different than those of Lyme. What I do know is what it's like to be bedridden. I know what it's like to be written off by family, to be abandoned and have no one.
I know what it's like to just need to rest because you are so sick and not have a bed and not have a home. I know what it's like to be in pain, to be suffering, and to want to go outside and see the sun and the grass anyway. Most importantly, I know what it's like to need help and not get any. That is why this video touched me so deeply. I watch it and see Father Michael Bassano give people who were left for dead by their families the last happy moments of their lives. I see him offer something in this world that I know is lacking through experience. I'm sure you know it too, if you have Lyme disease. I'm posting the video below on Lyme Spot because when I watch it, it reminds me that in spite of the fact that my own family has left me for dead, there are people in the world who know what is right and compassionate and loving and who are dedicating their entire life experience to doing what is right and compassionate and loving. Somehow, Father Michael Bassano's existence in the world makes me feel better, as if the world is safer than I thought, as if there's more love than I thought. Even though I don't benefit directly from his care, when I watch him care for the people at his Monestary, I know that he would care for me just the same if I were there, and in that, I feel cared for. His mere presence in this world feels healing to me, so I wanted to share, in case it might feel healing to you as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment